Chaudhuri Announces Women’s Rights Policy
RALEIGH, N.C. – Democratic State Senate candidate Jay Chaudhuri today announced his plan to stand up for women’s rights in the North Carolina General Assembly. Chaudhuri said he will fight to protect a woman’s right to choose and will work to make sure women receive equal pay for equal work.
“I am one hundred percent pro-choice and committed to defending Planned Parenthood,” said Chaudhuri. “In the State Senate, I will fight the extremists in the legislature who want to put politicians between women and their doctors.”
Chaudhuri has a record of standing up for women as General Counsel to State Treasurer Janet Cowell. He made diversity an important part of his legal and corporate governance team. Chaudhuri also advocated for more diversity in the corporate boardroom, organizing and leading a group of nine pension funds with more than $1 trillion in assets under management to petition the Securities and Exchange Commission to establish rules that better disclose corporate board diversity.
Chaudhuri’s women’s rights policy is focused on eight issues he will fight for as State Senator:
- Fight to protect women’s reproductive rights;
- Push for the Equal Pay Act to ensure that women are paid the same wage as men for similar work;
- Advocate for paid family leave;
- Raise the minimum wage;
- Restore childcare subsidies for working families;
- Protect women from gun violence;
- Encourage young women to pursue careers in science and math; and
- Advocate for diversity on state boards and commissions.
Chaudhuri’s women’s rights policy can be viewed here: http://www.jayfornc.com/issues/women.
Jay Chaudhuri is running in the March 15 Democratic primary election to represent District 16 in the North Carolina State Senate. To learn more, please visit www.JayforNC.com.